Man alive, that child’s hair is driving me crazy. I hate growing out bangs. ANYWAY.
The dress. You know, I didn’t make the dutchkid’s dress last year. This year I had this yellow fabric in my stash and decided to use it. I actually had the dress done by Good Friday, which I still can’t believe. What’s even funnier is that my mom made me a dress once that had very similar fabric if I remember correctly, I didn’t even realize it until the dress was in progress.
The pattern is Simplicity 2677. And when I say I used the pattern, I will say that I used their pattern pieces to cut out, but I constructed the dress almost completely differently than the pattern says. I suppose that means I’m getting better as a sewist, but really I think it speaks to how crummy many patterns are (sorry Simplicity).
I lined the entire thing, (which was a necessity because the fabric was very thin). I finished the edges differently (nothing says that a dress is homemade as much to me as using bias tape to finish all the edges), and I also used a ribbon for the belt and had it tie on the back instead of the side. See, I meant it when I said that I didn’t follow their instructions.
The back actually has more fullness than that, my model decided she needed to hold it in the front. It ended up looking a little more homemade than I would’ve liked, but I did conquer the invisible zipper, which I’ve never put in before. Once school gets out and I have a bit more time I want to sew up some sundresses for her. I’m so excited for summer vacation and wearing dresses and flipflops I can’t stand it.